Senior Accounting Manager
San Diego Metropolitan Area
We are seeking a Senior Manager, Accounting to own the monthly close and improve accounting processes. This role will report to the Corporate Controller and supervise a staff of three, plus the Accounting Manager for our U.S. subsidiary, as well as a payroll contractor. A successful candidate will have an enthusiastic entrepreneurial work ethic. This person will work closely with department heads, purchasing, and other members of the finance team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Own the month-end, quarter-end and year-end accounting close process and ensure close process is performed in a timely, accurate and auditable manner
- Perform month-end close activities including consolidations, accruals, reconciliations, and revenue recognition
- Collaborate with department heads to gain an understanding of contracts and work orders to ensure proper accounting
- Manage payroll and ensure employees are properly paid
- Manage employee benefits balance, such as PTO.
- Analyze invoice data and compare to budget, contracts, and work orders to derive needed accruals or prepaid expenses at each period end
- Provide budget vs actual analysis for areas of responsibility
- Support internal and external audit requirements related to specific areas of responsibilities and prepare supporting documentation for SEC filings as needed.
- Assist in the design and implementation of corporate accounting policies and procedures and assist in SOX implementation
- Liaison with third-party firm regarding accounting for our international operations and with the Accounting Manager for our subsidiary operations in US.
- All other duties as assigned or necessary
- At least 5 years of accounting/GL experience either at a startup or audit firm
- 2+ years of previous people management experience
- Strong understanding of GAAP accounting and thorough knowledge of accounting principles
- Experience with audits and SOX controls
- The ability to manage a full GL
- Thrive in a fast changing, start-up company environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Advanced Excel proficiency
- Ability to proactively identify and solve problems
- Outstanding integrity, accuracy, and organizational skills
- The ability to execute on your goals with little training or input
- A CPA or CMA and an ability to write accounting policies
- Life science and/or manufacturing experience
- Computer skills: functional experience with an ERP, Microsoft Dynamics preferred
- Experience with FP&A, SEC reporting and/or cost accounting
- Experience with managing collaboration and/or government grant arrangement accounting preferred
- Experience with consolidations
- Accounting experience at public companies
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting is required
- This position is based in our San Diego, CA office. This role requires the ability to report to the office 5 days per week.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Ability to lift to 15 pounds required
Job type: FULL_TIME
Experience: 4 Year